Unit 5. Romanesque and Gothic. Final task.
Project. This individual task you have to work for March 31st. You have to use your computer and send the project by e-mail or Aula Virtual before the end of 30st, the DEADLINE. No excuses, because I WILL NOT COLLECT NOR CORRECT ANY PROJECT AFTER DEADLINE.
Consisting in find out one artistic period (Romanesque or Gothic) in any of their branches: Architecture, Sculpture or Painting. Related to the culture in Middle Ages, the importance of Art, not only as an artistic expression but a religious lifestyle. A religious society highly influenced by Christianity reflects in Art their spirituality and developed a huge amount of buildings along Europe, from the 11th century on. This is the time of last Feudalism and beginning of URBAN RENAISSANCE.
According to the period that you have been assigned and the branch (Sculpture, Architecture or painting) follow the questions in order to create a Final Project worthy and brilliant.
You can do it in PDF, PowerPoint or Prezi and send by E-mail/Aula Virtual or even written or drawn if you are very keen on this one. You can make a kind of Comic, like an Art Magazine, with different illustrations, chronological axes (timelines) and contents explaining the artistic period you are working on. For instance: an important person (architectures, Bishops, Kings, etc., that ordered to built that church or cathedral. What it was made for, etc.
Following these answers, not necessarily written in your project, make a study of some Work of Art in Middle Ages. (F.e. San Martín de Fromista in Palencia)
- Culture in Middle Ages. (Society, economy and political situation)
- The culture in the monasteries.
- The urban Culture in Middle Ages. The first universities
- The School of Translators of Toledo. Alfonso X and the Culture in Middle Ages.
- Style and the Work of Art. Church: cathedral, painting, sculpture, etc. Example: CATHEDRAL OF TOLEDO, GOTHIC ART. 13TH CENTURY—-
- When does appear this artistic style? Why?
- Where does appear? Why?
- Why is this style called like that?
- What are the main features/characteristics of this style? (Architecture, Sculpture and Painting) Focus on your selected category.
- How were the development and spread of the style?
- When does this style reach the Iberian Peninsula? Why? (Related to what event or situation)
- How was the political situation in Europe during these centuries? And in the Iberian Peninsula?
- Why do you think the Art was so important for Medieval society?
- Draw or use a blank map of the Iberian Peninsula with the main places and main buildings in your artistic Period. ( Santiago de Compostela, Palencia, León, the Pyrenees in Romanesque, Burgos, Toledo or León, in Gothic) and explain the development of the style and the European influences.
- Explain the differences between your selected style and Mudejar architecture (Toledo has several samples of Mudejar style. Even Talavera has some examples of Mudejar architecture)
You must include pictures, plans, maps, timelines, etc., whatever you consider interesting according to your selection. As usual, the more creative, the higher mark. REMEMBER, it is ART and has to be VISUAL
LANGUAGE: English terms. Accuracy in your explanations and use of artistic expressions. Use a dictionary if necessary.
TIMING: 4 sessions to prepare it during the explanations of the Unit.
BE CAREFUL: Always name the page you have used to take the information from. For doing this activity you should use different resources (Book, Blog, Pictures, contents uploaded on Aula Virtual, Youtube, your own searches on an Internet searcher, such as Google). Select reliables websites, not the first one you find on the Internet. (ArteHistoria, Arteguias, Khan Academy, etc.)