Academia Play is a very useful website because it has a lot of videos related to different contents. In this case, you can watch in a few more than 15 minutes the Ancient Greece (In Spanish).
Then, revise the activities from your book and these Reinforcement Worksheets.
Minoan and Mycenaean
- Complete the table to show the characteristics of each civilisation.
Reconstruction of the Knossos palace Aerial view of the city of Troy
Acropolis – Achaean – bronze – chariots – Knossos – trade – Crete – fortified -warring – peaceful – palace – Troy
|Minoan Age||Mycenaean Age|
|It was established in Europe on the islands of ______________ and Thira (now called Santorini).||The _____________ people were a ____________ people who settled in European Greece. They invaded Minoan lands and adopted their culture.|
|They were a ______________ people and there were no walls around their towns for protection.||They used ______________ weapons and war _____________.|
|The town was built around a _____________ which was the centre of life in the town. The most important of these was built in ______________.||They lived in _______________ enclosures which they built on a raised area called an ______________.|
|Their prosperity was based on maritime _____________. They sold goods and bought metals.||In this period the _______________ war took place, which later became a legendary story.|
Unit 4. Ancient Greece.
- Define the following terms:
- Set in the timeline the different periods and dates of Ancient Greece.
3. Answer the following questions briefly.
- Which are the three geographical areas where Greek civilisation developed?
- What is the difference between a colony and a metropolis?
- What period was known as Golden Age?
- How was the role of Greek women in Ancient Greece?
4. Complete the box with some metropolises and colonies of Greece and Phoenicia.
- Don´t forget includes the ones that were founded in the Iberian Peninsula.
- Use this map to locate them. And then, answer, what cities are currently the peninsular Greek and Phoenician colonies?
|Greek metropolises||Greek colonies||Phoenician metropolises||Phoenician colonies|
- What empire was founded by Alexander the Great? How far reached their boundaries?
5. Choose the correct answer.
– Socrates was a relevant figure in…
– The polis was divided in:
a) Low city, High city and surrounding areas
b) Acropolis and Agora
c) City centre and suburbs
– The political system in Sparta was…
– Why did some Greeks abandon their polis and funded colonies?
a) Because the authorities of the polis wanted to extend their domains and create new colonies.
b) Because bad harvests and the population increase caused food shortage for everyone.
c) Because they thought they were going to find unexplored riches in other lands.
– What is the polis?
a) The police force in Ancient Greece.
b) The most important part of the Greek cities.
c) The name for a Greek city-state.
6. Match each social group with its definition.
Aristocrats – Free people – Foreigners and freed people – Slaves
- They formed the majority and lived modestly.
- They were rich families with agricultural land. They had political control.
- They were free people who couldn’t pay their debts, prisoners of war and their descendants.
- They had limited rights and could only work as artisans or merchants.
7. Explain the social differences and represent them in a social pyramid.
The classical orders
- Complete the description of Greek art.
Harmony – beauty Greeks -man – models – proportions
The ideal figure of ________________ for the ancient ________________ was based on balance and ________________. Any work of art had to be the same size as a _______________ and had to have certain fixed _________________ which were based on idealistic ________________.
2. Answer the questions according to the images below.
– What is represented in the picture below?
– Where is located?
– What is the name of the temple?
– Who was that temple dedicated to?
– Who was the person to order building it?
3. Complete according to the picture.
– Write the names of each column and capital.
– Explain the main differences between them.
4. Complete the table below with the following sculptures.
Resources and Links:
- Oxford Premiun. OUPE.